Scott A. Dumas, Police Chief
477 Haverhill Street
Rowley, MA 01969
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, July 7, 2017
Contact: John Guilfoil
Rowley Police Warn Residents Of Fundraising Scam
ROWLEY — Chief Scott A. Dumas warns residents of an ongoing scam in which callers are targeting residents by claiming that they are raising money on behalf of the Rowley Police Association.
The Rowley Police Association is not currently conducting any sort of fundraiser, and any phone call suggesting otherwise is a scam and should be ignored.
“The best way to determine the legitimacy of a call is to ask for the name of the company the caller is from and for a call-back number,” Chief Dumas said. “If they hesitate or refuse, it is a scam. We encourage anyone who has doubts about whether or not they are being targeted by a scam to call and speak to one of our officers.”
The Rowley Police Association is proud of the strong support from Rowley’s citizens that it has consistently enjoyed, and always ensures that its fundraisers are well advertised.
To avoid falling victim to these telephone scams, Rowley Police recommend that residents follow these tips outlined by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC):
- Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers. Let them go to voicemail.
- If you answer and the caller (often a recording) asks you to hit a button to stop receiving calls, hang up. Scammers often use these tricks to identify, and then target, live respondents.
- If you receive a scam call, write down the number and file a complaint with the FTC.
- Ask your phone service provider if it offers a robocall blocking service. You can also visit the FTC’s website for information and resources on available robocall blocking tools to help reduce unwanted calls.
- Consider registering all of your telephone numbers in the National Do Not Call Registry. Access the registry online or by calling 1-888-382-1222.
These scams can also be reported to the FTC at 877-382-4357. Anyone who has questions, concerns, or believes they are the victim of a scam is asked to contact the Rowley Police Department at (978) 948-7644.